Reading is an important part of a child’s development, particularly in elementary school.
With every child developing their reading skills at a different pace with their own unique learning style, one of the most important keys to success is to engage your child with fun and memorable activities.
Here are 5 tips to help your child love reading and improve their skills:
1) Read with your child frequently and if possible on a daily basis. As you are reading, engage your child by asking them to explain different parts and read back to you. As your child becomes more advanced, at the end of reading ask them questions about the story.
2) Label different items around the house and practice reading them with your child.
3) Use flash cards to review common words. As your child develops stronger skills, try to combine the flash cards to start to create basic sentences.
4) Mix it up with different types of stories from a variety of backgrounds. Not only does it make it fun, it helps illustrate the impact reading has on all areas of life.
5) Reading apps are a great way to make reading fun and leverage technology.We hope these strategies are helpful to make your child a devoted and successful reader.
Related Articles View All
This Hooked on Books series features author/illustrator, Peggy Collins, covering the topics of courage, autism and neurodivergence.
This Hooked on Books series features author Lily Chu to introduce her book The Comeback, with famous Toronto landmarks, new hotspots, and an introduction to Korean popular music (K-pop).
This Hooked on Books series features author / illustrator Jason Li to get his take on this unique and creative methodology to learn the Chinese Language through the The Hanmoji Handbook.