Summer is almost here! With the warm weather, vacations and fun activities, learning loss can be an issue over the summer. Some research has suggested that students may lose one month of knowledge over the summer break.
However, the summer break does not have to be boring and completely focused on learning. There is an opportunity to enjoy the summer break while continuing to keep up knowledge and learning from the school year.
We have reached out to our tutors for their advice on summer enrichment and how to avoid the summer slide:
1) Read every day: Make the reading fun with fiction, non-fiction, newspapers, apps, poetry on topics your daughter or son is interested in.
2) Summer Camps: There are a ton of education based summer camps in Toronto that focus on STEM and arts. Check out Our Kids camp resource to review different options.
3) Vacations: Make your vacation a learning experience. On any trip there are a ton of opportunities to learn about geography (location and maps), history (site and their background), science (physics of driving, weather, different climates) and math (distance, speed). Here are also some fun educational games for road trips.
4) Educational Field Trip: Toronto has tons of exciting places to visit for educational field trips. Here are some of our recommendations.
5) Make Math Fun: Math does not have to be only worksheets and tests. There are ton of real world examples, games and apps to work on over the summer. For more ideas click here.
6) Summer Scrapbook: If your child is interested in arts, encourage them to take pictures over the summer and create a summer scrapbook.
7) Learn a New Word Each Week
8) Cook with Your Child: Cooking helps teach your child math skills, nutrition, directions, critical thinking, measurement, cultural awareness, creativity, and sensory awareness.
Related Articles View All
We picked nine of our favourite museums that are definitely worth a road trip across Ontario.
Here’s how to start a family book club to build your child's literacy skills.
Here are five reasons why online tutoring might be a great choice for you child and why now might be a helpful time to start.