One of the most common tutoring requests we receive relates to struggles with math and in particular, math anxiety.
For many students, doing math homework or the thought of writing math tests or exams can cause negative thoughts from the fear of failure. It can also lead to challenges with the disruption of working memory, which is key to succeed in math even at a young age.
Math anxiety can be caused by a number of things including:
- Public fear: Having a bad experience answering a question incorrectly in class
- Time pressure on tests or exams
- Reliance on learning math through memorizing procedures rather than truly understanding the concepts
We asked our team of math tutors for their advice on how to succeed with learning, studying and writing math exams / tests:
1) Ask questions from your teacher or peers, whether it is in class or after school
2) Be consistent & persistent. Learn from mistakes and keep trying problems and questions that you have challenges in to learn. Working consistently on math will help to build a base of skills over time.
3) Start small: For the first couple of days spend 15-30 minutes on math and as you build confidence work on longer and more challenging problems.
4) Make math fun through interests. For example if a student likes sports, connect math to sports themes.
5) Practice regularly, especially if you are having challenges with a specific concept. Having worked through a specific problem or question in the past will help you succeed during test or exam time.
6) Last and more important, have a positive attitude and re-position challenges into positive experiences.
Related Articles View All
Here are some recommendations from Teachers on Call for how to maintain and engage in learning this summer, in order to make sure your kids are ready for the next school year and avoid the summer slide.
Tax time is a great opportunity to teach children about money, and financial concepts like spending and saving.
Virtual Bingo Nights are a great way for family and friends to stay in touch. How is how to set one up.