With the school year now in full swing, students are beginning to learn new skills and concepts in Math, English, Science and French. In order to reinforce and solidify the new information learned, teachers often assign homework to supplement students’ learning. Below are 5 great tips for parents to help your child with their homework throughout the school year:
1) Schedule a Consistent Time
- Set a consistent schedule that allows a balance of homework, activities and free time
- Establish a time that works best for your child whether it is directly after school or closer to dinner time
- Encourage your son or daughter to take breaks if there is a larger amount of work than usual
- Organize a clean, well lit space to work keeping in mind that each student works differently
- Keep any school supplies they use close by
- Try to avoid distractions (cell phone, TV) to allow them to focus on their work
- Find the right balance of supporting your child with their work. Doing the work for them won’t allow your child to develop new skills and learn from their mistakes
- Provide coaching and direction to ensure they understand and learn the concepts
- Use the school agenda where they can write down their homework assignments and add important dates (ie. projects, tests, exams).
- Review your child’s agenda and compare it to the homework they have completed
- Discuss any homework concerns or challenges they are facing. If they are having consistent difficulties and unable to do the work on their own, we would recommend contacting the teacher to discuss further.
Related Articles View All
Teachers on Call Celebrates Doors Open Whitchurch-Stouffville
Doors Open Whitchurch-Stouffville, which is taking place on Saturday, June 3, 2023, has 15 in-person buildings and sites to visit.
5Ws (and 1H) Elementary Parents Need to know about EQAO
Joanne Sallay from Teachers on Call, shares information on elementary EQAO assessments for grade 3 and 6 students to best support families in understanding the process and next steps.
Teachers on Call Celebrates Doors Open Ottawa
Doors Open Ottawa, which is taking place on Saturday June 3, 2023 and Sunday June 4, 2023 showcases several of the city’s most buildings and sites.