One of the most common requests we receive is for our tutors to help with homework. It can be anything from learning to read and write, helping with math homework or solving high school biology or chemistry problems.
We have reached our to our team of elementary and high school tutors to get their advice on succeeding with homework.
Here are some of our favourite strategies:
1) Set up a homework friendly area that limits distractions unless it is used as a homework tool. Examples include cell phones and TVs
3) Make a daily schedule: Have a regular study time that works well for your child. Each child works differently and some children prefer to work right after school and others after dinner. Ensure students take a break after a long day at school to decompress.
4) Prioritize: We find students can have very jam packed schedules with extracurricular activities. It is important to ensure homework takes priority and students are not exhausted by the time they work on their academic exercises. We would recommend using a family calendar, so you can work together to track everyone's obligations and ensure no evening or weekend is too jam packed.
5) Ask for help: We recommend that students start their homework independently and then ask for help when needed. Homework help can come from tutors, family members, homework clubs and teachers.
6) Try your best: As students work through their homework, they should not get discouraged with questions they do not understand. Highlight any areas they do not understand to show they need help. It is better to attempt a math or science answer versus leaving it blank.
Related Articles View All
Teachers on Call shares activities that will keep little minds active on hot days, and some of them are great choices for shady backyard play too
With this popsicle STEM experiment in the kitchen with making flavour-pleasing combinations, children grades 4+ will learn the basics of scientific theory and vocabulary so they can run their own experiments.
Get yourself and your child in the Olympic spirit and get ready to cheer on Team Canada with these three fun and educational activities.