Your daughter or son has a math test coming up next week. How can you help them build the right Academic Coaching skills to study and practice properly?
We asked our team of math tutors for their advice on building the right math study skills. Here are some of their tips:
1) Start Studying Early: Plan ahead is a sure way to succeed when studying for any test. Studies show that spacing studying sessions apart is far more effective than cramming the day before. Break up the different math topics in the test into different study sessions. This approach also builds a foundation for review closer to exam time.
2) Know Your Math Vocabulary: Make sure your child knows all the key terms so when they read the test questions they are able to distinguish what type of problem it is. For example they should be able to identify the difference between questions for a sum versus a product.
3) Understand and Practice the Format of the Test: Although students may know the math content, sometimes the format of the test can throw them off. For example if the test has longer problems, work on practicing the steps required to answer the question. For multiple choice, learn the process of elimination to get to the more likely answers. Also practice in advance reading the directions of each question or section on the test.
4) Homework: Doing your homework regularly helps a student become familiar with basic math concepts and build a foundation for future grades. It also helps in test situations where there is a time limit.
5) Practice Notation: Sloppy handwriting can lead to the wrong number reviewed by the teacher. Be sure that your that a 9 does not look like a 4. Also when doing adding, subtraction, division and multiple practice lining up digits so they do not become misaligned. For longer math problems, ensure the steps are neatly laid out and show the logic of how you got to your answer.
5) Be Well Rested and Healthy: Eat well, have a good sleep and most important go into the test with a positive attitude!
Related Articles View All
Teachers on Call online English tutors share many ways a parent can help their child develop a love of reading.
Teachers on Call shares great apps and online learning sites that can help kids not just practice their math, but also grow their love of math!
Teachers on Call shares 5 math teacher and math tutor approved games you can easily play at home.