It is never too early to start planning with your daughter or son to get into the school or program of their choice. Below are some tips you may find helpful when planning for University or College.
Prior to Applying
- Discuss what they would like to do after high school and research the applicable programs
- Visit University or College websites to learn about courses needed for specific programs
- Engage their guidance counsellor in reviewing the courses they have taken and what prerequisites are outstanding for their programs of interest
- Build on any extracurricular activities that grow their leadership and character – some schools consider extracurricular experience when evaluating applications
- Begin researching about potential scholarship opportunities
- Register for the SAT, if there is an interest in U.S. schools. Visit www.collegeboard.org for more information.
- Support them in developing a resume or portfolio if they are planning to apply for scholarships and/or are required to submit supplemental applications
- Finalize their choice of program and understand the application process and deadlines
- For Ontario applications - visit www.ouac.on.ca for more information
- Attend the individual University information sessions and/or University and College fairs
- The Ontario Universities’ Fair takes place at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre from Friday September 27th to Sunday September 29th. Visit www.ouf.ca for more information
- Submit any scholarship and / or supplemental applications
- If these applications require references, provide these individuals plenty of time to write letters of recommendation
- Continue to monitor University, College or centralized sites (ie. OUAC) about the application process
- Depending on when you applied, letters of admission begin to arrive in early Spring
- During March break schools generally have open houses and scheduled tours to visit campus
- If you have been accepted, review your offer of admission and read through all the material provided in the package
- Let schools know of your decision as soon as possible as course selection and / or housing can potentially be on a first-come, first-served basis
Related Articles View All
Teachers on Call shares 12 exam tips Math, English, Science and French tutors
Teachers on Call shares tips to Keep Kids Learning Over the Winter Break
Teachers on Call shares strategies to help your child love reading.