Spring is here and students of all ages are starting the countdown to the end of classes.
While summer break is a healthy time for children to reset, it also represents a long stretch of time away from the classroom. Many parents want to be proactive leading up to and during the holidays to ensure a smooth transition to the next grade level in September.
Before the school year ends is the perfect time to schedule a chat with your child's teacher about academic and social progress. The ideal outcome is to provide direction on where to focus student efforts for the remaining months.
Last year in our spring newsletter, we shared eight questions to ask your child's teacher. Now, we have 8 more suggestions to add to your list.
1. How does my son/daughter view himself/herself as a learner in the class?
2. What are my child's greatest academic strengths?
3. Where is there room for growth and improvement?
4. Do you have any feedback about my child's overall social development?
5. Can you recommend any games or apps to support my child in learning at home?
6. How is my child doing in the class in relation to peers?
7. Is there any area that you feel my child may struggle with next year that we should begin to focus on now?
8. How can I help my child in preparation for the next grade level?
We hope these questions act as a helpful guide in starting a meaningful chat with your son or daughter's teacher. The benefit is that you will have a clear academic picture if your child needs extra support in advance of the final report card (with no surprises). Equipped with this knowledge, you can proactively plan how you'll incorporate learning into the summer holiday.
Related Articles View All
Pink Shirt Day provides opportunities for Teachers and Parents to promoting kindness, and ensure every kid feels seen and valued.
The Teachers on Call tutoring team has prepared tips on how maximize report card time to translate into meaningful growth and development.
Thunder Bay Bucket List Things to Do: Winter FunDays, SnowDay on the Waterfront, Ontario Winter Games & More
The city of Thunder Bay has an exciting winter line-up of activities including Sunday FunDays, Family Day Weekend SnowDay on the Waterfront, and Ontario Winter Games!