After the first couple of days and weeks of school, the excitement of back-to-school fades away and homework and studying begin. This is especially the case for middle and high school students who receive increased homework and learn about their first tests and due dates approaching.
Parents often ask our tutors' advice on how to succeed during the school year. Of course knowledge of the English, Math, Science, Social Science and French curriculum is important, but an overlooked item is having strong study habits. Fortunately our tutors have complied a list of 5 study habits to help your child succeed this school year.
1) Develop Strong Organizational Skills: Using an agenda, having an organized study space and keeping papers and binders organized is a great start. For more organization tips, click here
2) Have a Good Study Space: From our experience, a clean, well lit space with school supplies close by works best. Also, try and avoid distractions like cell phones and TV to allow your child to stay focused.
3) Build Strong Exam and Test taking Strategies: Making study notes, avoid cramming and asking for help are several way to ensure success on any test or exam. For further tips, click here
4) Develop Note Taking Skills: Students should work towards developing note taking strategies that work well with their style and are able to summarize the material and capture all the key points. For more detailed strategies click here
5) Be Positive and Well Rested: Having a good nights sleep, eating well and being positive is key to any students success. Encourage positive thinking and work with your child to re-frame any challenges into positive learning experiences.
Related Articles View All
Our team at Teachers on Call are big fans of Cricut, as it can be used as an educational tool to enhance and inspire a love of learning.
Transitioning to high school is a big step for any student. The Teachers on Call team has eight suggestions to help your child make the adjustment to high school successful this school year!
Teachers on Call tutoring shares the essential Kindergarten checklist right here to take the stress off for back to school.