With 2018 upon us, it is time for new year and new goals. But what about those goals you set with your child this past fall for the school year?
With the first half of the school year almost complete, the new year is a great time to sit down and refresh your initial goals.
Here 5 ideas to help update your child's goals for the school year:
1) Evaluate Progress & Discuss Challenges: Not every subject will be your child's strongest. Discuss obstacles on these subjects with your child and teacher and how you can work together to overcome them.
2) Re-Write Your Goals: Writing down your goals is a wonderful way for you and your child to take ownership. If your child is not old enough to write the goals out themselves, feel free to lend a hand. The new year provides an opportunity to refresh and update their initial goals and make new ones for the remainder of the school year.
3) Create Goals That are SMART: SMART Goals are:
S = Specific
M = Measurable
A = Attainable
R = Relevant, Rigorous, Realistic, and Results Focused
T = Timely and Trackable
4) Showcase Goals and Progress: Posting goals and displaying successful work / achievements around your house is a wonderful way to keep goals top of mind and celebrate your child's successes in school.
5) Have Fun and Be Positive: Use art work or games to help visualize any goals and consider any small rewards to celebrate milestones or successes. Most importantly - make goal setting fun!
Related Articles View All
Pink Shirt Day provides opportunities for Teachers and Parents to promoting kindness, and ensure every kid feels seen and valued.
The Teachers on Call tutoring team has prepared tips on how maximize report card time to translate into meaningful growth and development.
Thunder Bay Bucket List Things to Do: Winter FunDays, SnowDay on the Waterfront, Ontario Winter Games & More
The city of Thunder Bay has an exciting winter line-up of activities including Sunday FunDays, Family Day Weekend SnowDay on the Waterfront, and Ontario Winter Games!