When our calculator is out, graphing paper in front of us and we are scribbling SIN, COS and TAN we know it is Math Exam season. After a long year or semester of Advanced Functions, Data Management or Calculus we know how challenging it can be to study for exams with the warm summer temperatures.
Fortunately, we put together some tried and true methods to help you succeed when studying for math exams.
1) Start as early and often as possible and avoid cramming the night before the exam.
2) Create a distraction free study environment. Math requires more focus than most subjects.
3) List of all the topics that will be covered on the exam to ensure you do not miss any of the material.
4) Summarize important formulas and concepts. Practice writing the formulas out so when the math exam begins you are able write all the key formulas down.
5) Avoid memorizing – Understand the math problem or question.
6) Ask for help. Your teacher can be an excellent resource. As you are studying, note the questions you are struggling with and ask for support.
7) Use your text book to see examples of prior questions and proofs and try to do as many homework problems as possible to get practice with different types of questions.
8) Study Groups – Once you have a good understanding of the material, joining a study group in the right environment can be helpful to get help with the remaining questions or topics you are having challenges with.
9) Practice Exams – If there are any available, practice with them and give yourself a time limit.
10) Reduce Exam stress – see our article on Coping with Stress During Exams for excellent strategies and techniques.
11) Get a good night’s sleep the night before the exam.