As kids get back to school in January, it’s the perfect time to reflect on the first half of the school year and to make some educational resolutions.
In the new year, we usually start off with the best of intentions, but don’t always follow through with the resolutions we make. That’s why our team of tutors recommends continuing to engage your child and track their progress.
Here are some subject and skill specific ideas to help start 2017 off on the right foot.
- Practice makes perfect – Math homework can be an opportunity for students to reinforce the concepts they learned. Schedule a regular time and location to develop a routine
- Play Math Games to make learning fun. Here are some of our favourites
- Use these helpful Math apps for enrichment or support learning in more challenging areas
- Introduce Math into real life settings. For example: on the next drive learn about distance and time. Or during cooking time – learn about measurement.
- Read with your child frequently and engage them by asking them to explain the story
- Use flash cards to learn important words. Once your child gets comfortable, combine the flash cards to create common sentences
- Label items around the house and practice reading them with your child
- Reading apps can help engage your child and leverage technology. Some of our favourites include: Dr. Seuss’s ABC, Reading Raven, Question Builder, Word Magic, Grace, abc PocketPhonics
- Cook in French – think about all the great food you can cook and eat (ie. Crepes, Croissant)
- TFO – Games: Wonderful games to help improve French vocab, math, reading and science
- French TV: expand vocabulary by watching age appropriate shows
- Leverage technology with these helpful French Apps
- Sign up for a French enrichment March Break or Summer Camp
- Watch online videos to sing songs and learn new vocabulary
- Use sports make science fun and connect it with real life. Ie. hockey can be used to learn the Physics of friction and momentum or athletes’ nutrition can be used to learn Biology and the science of proteins, sugars and fats
- Explore the world of science with these helpful apps for children of all ages
- NBC Learn has wonderful videos to explain the science of everything
Organization, Time Management and Study Skills:
- Use an agenda / planner
- Make a consistent schedule
- Provide a place to study with limited distractions and good lighting
- Develop a system to track important papers / materials
- Communicate with your child’s teacher on an ongoing basis