When our calculator is out, graphing paper in front of us and we are scribbling SIN, COS and TAN we know it is Math Exam season. After a long year or semester of Advanced Functions, Data Management or Calculus we know how challenging it can be to study for exams with the warm summer temperatures.
Fortunately, we put together some tried and true methods to help you succeed when studying for math exams.
1) Start as early and often as possible and avoid cramming the night before the exam.
2) Create adistraction free study environment. Math requires more focus than most subjects.
3) List of all the topics that will be covered on the exam to ensure you do not miss any of the material.
4) Summarize important formulas and concepts. Practice writing the formulas out so when the math exam begins you are able write all the key formulas down.
5) Avoid memorizing – Understand the math problem or question.
6) Ask for help. Your teacher can be an excellent resource. As you are studying, note the questions you are struggling with and ask for support.
7) Use your text book to see examples of prior questions and proofs and try to do as many homework problems as possible to get practice with different types of questions.
8) Study Groups – Once you have a good understanding of the material, joining a study group in the right environment can be helpful to get help with the remaining questions or topics you are having challenges with.
9) Practice Exams – If there are any available, practice with them and give yourself a time limit.
Almost one month to go until another school year comes to an end and summer is here. When we think of summer, we think of family vacations, fun field trips and enjoying the warm weather by a pool or lake.
Summer can also be a time for your children to learn a new language or strengthen their second language speaking and writing skills in a fun an enjoyable way. Below are some fun ways to strengthen your child’s language skills, focusing on French.
1) Attend a French Summer Camp: Attending camp is a wonderful way for children to build their confidence, while having fun. It also allows students to build on their verbal and conversational skills outside the classroom. Camp Tournesol offers day and overnight camp options to students in numerous programs throughout the summer. For a further list of camps throughout Canada, visit Our Kids.
2) Explore – French Language Bursary Program: Offered in the summer for any skill level in French, the program provides a $2,200 bursary for tuition fees, instructional materials, meals and accommodation to learn French and the local culture in another region of Canada. Explore is a five-week intensive program that offers learning through classroom instruction, workshops, socialcultural activities and field trips.
3) Watch Videos / Sing Songs: There a ton of excellent visual and audio resources online to make learning a second language fun. The 30 minute video below has exciting songs and games to learn basic words, phrases, colours and numbers.
4) Educational Technology – French Apps: There are number of wonderful online apps for your smartphone or tablet for learners of different ages and skill levels. Here are some of our favourites:
Learn French: Play French games to build essential vocabulary & conversation skills.
French Verbs: Learn about French verbs and their conjugation.
Organized by the Mooredale House and a wonderful volunteer committee, Mayfair has been a fixture for the Rosedale and Moore Park community for 70 years. Each year, Mayfair sets the bar higher and this year is no different with its ‘Under the Sea’ theme. Start the day with the Mayfair parade in your ‘Under the Sea’ costume and then enjoy the amazing rides, kiddie zone, bingo, track and field, face painting, silent auction, food court and bbq.
Ride vouchers can be purchased at Summerhill Market and Mooredale House. Also, don’t miss the bonus Friday evening Mayfair’s Eve Preview from 5pm-9pm to get a sneak peak of Saturday’s wonderful events.
Mount Pleasant Village Kids’ Fun Day
Mount Pleasant (Between Eglinton and Davisville) – 11am – 4pm
Join the community and merchants of the Mount Pleasant Village, for their 3rd annual Kids’ Fun Day. Don’t miss the full day of fun and free activities including: