Every student starting in grade 9 is required to complete 40 hours of community service as a graduation requirement outlined by the Ministry of Education. The purpose is to encourage students to develop an understanding of the various roles they can play in supporting their community and to help foster valuable and long-term relationships.
Below are examples of activities that you could suggest to your child.
- Provide service to seniors or to others who have difficulty leaving their homes with gardening, reading and meal preparation
- Help younger children to take trips to the library, community centre and park
- Assist with holiday clothing and toy drives
- Take part in environmental initiatives like recycling, flower / tree planting
- Volunteer at a seniors’ home/centre by visiting, reading, playing cards or board games
- Get involved in charitable activities – walk-a-thons, daffodil sales, canvassing for organizations
- Provide service through religious communities / places of worship
- Help with the organization of local events such as food drives
- Assist with local sports teams or parks & recreation programs
- Get involved in the democratic political process – help with canvassing and / or campaigning
- Volunteer in hospitals, libraries or any organizations recommended by your school
- Assist in the planning of artistic events – sell tickets, get involved in art, drama or music productions
- Help with sports teams and athletic events – assist a coach, set up for track meets
- Become a peer buddy and assist students with special needs
- Facilitate school events such as parent information nights – meet and greet visitors, give guided tours, serve refreshments
- Sit on school councils and/or committees
Community application forms are available at your child’s school. We would recommend that you check with your guidance counselor for a complete list of the community service eligible activities. Your child’s selection of activities should take into account their age and current skill level. Their safety is paramount.