As students consider their course selection and potential career interests, it is important they continue to gain opportunities to better understand their interests, strengths and abilities.
Take Our Kids to Work Day is an excellent program for Grade 9 students to gain a better understanding of the complexity of career choices and the benefits of early exploration.
On Wednesday, November 7 over 200,000 students across Canada will spend the day at work, job shadowing a parent, relative, friend or volunteer host.
Benefits for Students
- Develop a better understanding and appreciation of the workplace
- Link classroom and workplace experiences in a practical way
- Begin discussions with adults about their career options
- Gain a better understanding of the importance of career choices and the benefits of early exploration
How Parents can get Involved
- Engage in discussions on career options before and after the visit
- Invite your daughter or son to spend the day with you
- Contact the school, speak with the guidance counselor or co-op teacher and ask if they can assist in finding a suitable placement for the day
- Contact local businesses and ask if they are hosting students in an area your daughter or son may be interested in
- Ensure you have reviewed the safety of the location prior to your child’s workplace visit
Please feel free to contact us we can be of any further help as you and your child continue to explore career options.